Monday, November 23, 2009

Pheobe

March 2008-a typical happy Phoebe
October 2009-Phoebe was always watching out for us

November 2009 "Paws Crossed, of course"November 2009 Phoebe "Sitting Pretty"



I usually do not write long extended blogs-In fact, I rarely have anything important enough to blog about. I tend to just add pictures and comment on them; however, I would just like to write a tribute to a cute little springer spaniel named Phoebe Chin.

Yesterday night, Phoebe was taken to the UCDavis Emergency room. She had been having more labored breathing than usual and she was barely eating and drinking. Poor thing. The vet said that she had an Oxygen saturation of 59-62% (which, apparently was the brink of living-the normal saturation is 100% ). She was incredibly thin due to her congestive heart failure and pulmonary hypertension. Apparently her abdominal muscles were using up more nutrients than she was taking in. The meds were no longer working anymore.

The vet gave us 2 options: leave her in an oxygen kennel or let her go. I got the feeling that bringing her home to see Marcus and my parents one last time was not an option. Dr. O'Brien was very nice and sympathetic but explained, that she would not make it till Dec. 1st (the day my parents get back from Italy). After attempts to reach my parents in Italy, Michael and I came to conclusion that we would have to make a very difficult decision. I almost lost it when I saw her enter the room with her IV, happily recognizing us and wondering why we were all in this room together. Mike and I stayed with her the entire time: we refused to leave her alone. Josh and Kristine were very supportive. I held and petted her head. When it was over, I took a bit of fur. She will be placed with her best friend Sydney. This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

Michael was able to reach my parents this morning. Of course they were saddened. This will undoubtedly cast a shadow on their visit to Italy and their 30th wedding anniversary tomorrow.

Phoebe was the very best of dogs...a personal favorite (even though I know you aren't supposed to have one). She was definitely a "mother" and took care of all of the other dogs. She would always "Sit Pretty" with her paws crossed-something she was never taught to do...just something felt she aught to do. She played, loved, and protected us. She will be missed. We love you very much Phoebe.

2 comments:

  1. So Sorry to hear about Pheobe.
    She was a great friend to everyone, even those who wanted no friends.
    We will miss her as much as we miss Smokie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Phoebe could be a pest with her excited to see you barking to her endless need to be patted on the head. Her personality was something special. Both she and Smokie were wonderful, loving companions who bought both of our families smiles. Our tears just show how much we did love them. I've been told recently that all animals travel over the rainbow bridge to their final resting place. I would like to think Smokie and Phoebe have found each other, as they were great friends. Denise

    ReplyDelete